Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 13, Bodie and Highway 395 to Lone pine

Driving from Groveland to Lone Pine:
I will spare you the details, but after a nice night of no sleep and too much throwing up, el Bart and me had a free breakfast. At least I tried some orange juice and the uber sweet yoghurt. Stuffed full of travel sickness pills, entering the car, I could only wish the trip trough Yosemite would be quick and painless. Many horrible miles of windy roads and some high pressure plant feeding by yours truly, we finally made it to the park exit. I managed to snap some pictures and told myself I would write about the variety in landscape in the Yosemite park. I won’t. There are beautiful mountains with snow and many rocks - for me to puke on. The town of Lee Vining made for a good stop between the park and our next destination: Bodie ghost town. Bart had a nice mexican lunch, I felt stoned from the pills.

The best way to describe Bodie is remote. I don’t thinks anything but the prospect of gold can persuade a man to live here. Exiting the highway, it takes twenty minutes to arrive at a dust road which leads to the gold city. Only hills live here. Figure that one out. The town itself is much more crowded with visitors than one would expect. Founded 1856 in the Californian gold rush, the town quickly grew to some thousand people. Many millions of dollars worth of gold were found here, but the mines dried out and fires raged, burning half of the city. By 1920, Bodie was officially dead. What remains are 150+ original houses and the stuff inside. It offer a real interesting view on how people lived a hundred years ago. Amazing how all the houses are made of wood, considering there are no trees in a hundred mile radius. Of course that could be because they used them all for building houses…













We continued or journey through the Sierra valley. I was starting to feel much better already. The only crossing point is 400 kilometers south of us. Miles later we arrived at Lone Pine and checked in to the Historic Dow Villa Hotel, only to find out we were one day ahead of schedule! Our original plan was to stop in Lee Vining. We still managed to get a room. It had no private bathroom and only a queen bed. Hmmm, cozy. Luckily the blanket was huge, so no midnight fights there. We enjoyed a self made dinner of sweet bread, mustard, pickle, tomato, and cucumber. My first real meal in 32 hours of sickness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home